Thursday, April 19, 2012

"The Animal House" or Building 714 at Howard AB, Panama

All the flap over the Secret Service agents and military personnel being caught with prostitutes in Columbia makes me think of Building 714, Panama AB, Panama or "The Animal House," as it was called.
Some veterans may remember Volant Oak, I think was the name of it. It was a mission the US Air Force Reserve and US Air National Guard units shared for several years. Each unit would be there about a month, and then switch out with another one.
Transient enlisted stayed in one of those buildings. It seems to me it was 714 or the Animal House, but it could have been 715.
I learned it about in two trips to Panama with my Air Force Reserve unit then based at Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio. My unit went down there several times. I went twice.
Now this all happened because the base itself was open, meaning civilian buses and autos ran on a highway that went through it. Fences and military policemen secured only the air strip.
I became aware of where the building got its name the first night there. I was in the shower when someone started washing my back. It was this very pretty young woman. She explained she'd wash the rest of me for a fee. I turned her down.
That was the start, but this young woman and probably a dozen others that night and every night I stayed in the building walked up and down the halls, knocking on doors and selling sex like someone would sell brushes. Door-to-door sex!
I did not partake of any of their offerings, not because I am a prude, but because as in a lot of third world countries, there were venereal diseases in Panama doctors could not name.
Some others did indulge, and I heard on our return several of those who did had to see doctors
Some other famous places for prostitutes that as a GI you learned about included Kasserstrasse in Frankfurt, right across from the Banhof, or main train station. Anyone stationed in Frankfurt will remember that as the street for prostitutes and bars full of B-girls, or girls who'd sit with you if you bought them drinks a very high prices.  There were a lot of American soldiers there in the 1950's and 1960's for sure who can tell you about that street. There was Tudau or Tudeu Street in Saigon, and, oh, yes, the combat zone in Boston, Mass., when the US Navy had a large base there.
The only time I ever bought a beer for a B-girl, incidentally, was across from the Banhof in Frankfurt in a bar full of them. The other GI and I ignored them until this one young woman asked if she could pour my beer? I nodded, OK, thinking that wouldn't cost anything. It did. That's because she cradled that bottle of beer between the most beautiful pair of breasts I'd ever seen, bent over with it between them, and poured my beer. What a lovely sight! We both bought her a drink!
Back to Panama, while the building had a number, it came to be known as "The Animal House."
The funniest part of that adventure, incidentally, came when I noticed "Animal Crackers" in a vending machine on the first floor.
Another curiosity came when I noticed that all these women who made their rounds every night took a half hour break at 7 and went into this one room. Curious, I looked in to see them all sitting in fold-up chairs, all lined up in one row. They were watching a soap opera. As soon as it was over, they were off selling their wares again.
Oh, and there was this real Lothario! He was a fellow I roomed with. He was old, fat and ugly as anything, and did he ever keep those prostitutes busy. I mean like every night, and sometimes twice a night. He had to be almost 55 or close to 60, yet, he kept at it so ardently I one day asked him: "Do you take some kind of pill?"
I don't remember what he said. I also remember that he'd taken $750 down there for his two-week stay, and near the end of the second week he was writing another check to get cash.  Talk about wonders? He was one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment