Tuesday, November 8, 2011

George Washington’s death and last words


I found this interesting, so I share.
From the book, “George Washington’s Diaries,” subtitle, “An Abridgement,” Dorothy Twohig, editor

He took ill Thursday, Dec. 12, 1799. He believed he had ague or a form of malaria.

The account of his last words come doctors who attended him.

One of the doctors noted that Gen. Washington about half past four in the afternoon on the day he died asked that Mrs. Washington be called. Once at his side, Washington told her to take from his desk two wills that he had had prepared and to bring them to him.

He looked at one, told her it was and old one and said it should be burned. A little later he said,

“I find I am going, my breath cannot last for long. I believed from the first that the disorder would prove fatal. Do you arrange and record all my late military letters and papers? Arrange my accounts and settle my books, as you know more about them than anyone else, and let Mr. Rawlings finish recording my other letters which he has begun.” It is unclear from the text who exactly he is speaking to or about, except perhaps the doctors.

Later the doctors went into his room at his bedside, and the general said , “Doctor, I die hard; but I am not afraid to go, I believed from my first attack that I should not survive it; my breath cannot last long.”

And still later, he said , “I feel myself going, I thank you for your attentions; but I pray you to take no more trouble with me, let me go off quietly; I cannot last long.”

The doctors found that all they had done had no effect.

About 10 o’clock in the evening he made several attempts to speak, and at length said:

“I am just going! Have me decently buried; and do not let my body be put in the vault in less than three days after I am dead. Do you understand me?” When the doctor replied he did, Gen. Washington replied, “Tis well.”

He was buried on Wednesday, Dec. 18, 1799 in the family vault at Mt. Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment